Top causes of residential fires in Savannah and how to avoid them
When you own a home, there are a wide range of threats to keep in mind. Fire is chief among them, as it can happen in any place and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated an astounding $8.9 billion in property damage throughout the United States due to residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported occurrences. Thankfully, there are actions you can take to avoid them. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Savannah.
What starts residential fires in Savannah?
Fires can start in any spot and without notice, whether ignited by a discarded cigarette in a waste container or an unattended stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.
- Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most widespread sorts of residential fires in Savannah and elsewhere. Ignored stovetops are the chief source, so always watch that scorching skillet when cooking. It’s also important to note that putting water on a grease fire will only make things worse.
- Heating: Portable heaters are well known for causing residential fires. Operating them for long amounts of time might result in internal parts wearing down and igniting. Putting heaters next to flammable objects like bedding and drapery or using damaged cords will also lead to devastating results. Other types of heating, such as fireplaces and furnaces, may cause fires and need to be examined frequently.
- Electrical: Outdated wiring, defective outlets, and overloaded extension cords are several of the ways electrical issues lead to fires. Whenever you discern flickering lights, sparking from an outlet, or odd odors, get it checked out promptly.
- Candles: If there's a flame, there's a chance of fire. Residential fires from candles are still frequently reported and typically result from people being careless. Burning candles next to flammable items like curtains or having them within the domain of a curious pet will lead to disaster.
- Smoking: In spite of the overall decline in smoking across the nation, it’s still a primary fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration announced that 7,800 residential fires were started by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette still burning or disposing of smoldering ashes carelessly can bring about catastrophic results.
The most effective way to prevent house fires in Savannah is to be careful at all times. Always pay attention when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle burning unattended, and get rid of cigarettes properly. If you must operate a space heater, do so sparingly and use one that offers an automatic shut-off safety precaution in the event it overturns.
Get help quickly with a monitored fire alarm in Savannah
You need to have smoke detectors on every floor and consider using more near bedrooms. But you can take your protection to a new level with a monitored fire alarm. These modern safety components will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to rising heat. Furthermore, considering they integrate into your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring professionals whenever a disaster strikes. This is a nice feature, especially when you’re not there to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.
Defend against known dangers with a Vivint smart home in Savannah
Upgrade the protection of your property today with a Vivint smart home. You may custom design our systems with monitored fire alarms, CO detectors, and flood sensors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your smartphone and the reassurance that comes with professional monitoring. Dial (706) 770-6267 to talk with a Vivint representative.